Sunday, September 12, 2010

'Percy Jackson and the Lightning Thief'

This is a book that I've come across recently due to some kids I teach. We post on a blog some ideas that we would like to learn about, and me reading this book (because I had never heard of it) was something the kids were wild for me to try. We (the class) have just started learning about ancient Greece, hence why the students suggested the novel. I decided to put it to the test about a week after the suggestion...

So far, so good. I'm about two-thirds to three-quarters of the way through the novel, and am enjoying it. It's aimed at the pre/early-teens audience, but I can understand why the kids were wanting me to read it. It's got a lot of humour in it that can appeal to older readers as well.

The main idea about the story is that Percy is the son of a Greek god. I won't give away whom. It becomes obvious fairly early on in the story, anyway. The really great thing about the novel is that there are a lot of ancient Greek mythology references throughout it. This is something I've never really been able to remember so well - which god or goddess was responsible for what thing in life, and what deeds they had done/performed/achieved. Through this novel, the reader can find out a lot of things about the Greek gods/goddesses and actually remember what they did due to the situations in the novel that Percy is placed - if one is wanting to use the novel as a way of remembering things. Very helpful.

One last thing: Rick Riordan (the author) has done a very good job at honing in on the charcteristics and jargon of kids. Probably due to having children himself, but he does it well, nonetheless.

Anyway, here is a link about the books if you are interested. Enjoy.
UPDATE: I finished the book today. It ended well. I guessed who would be the 'chief' bad guy, as well as who was the minion, and it is well done how the book ends with you knowing that there is a sequel. I mean, I know there are three more books in the series so far. It's just that, the book is written for a sequel to easily occur - for the author to be able to write.
Anyway, it is a good read. Enjoyable. Nothing mindbending. And, it does teach you well for the Greek gods and goddesses.

No comments: