Sunday, September 19, 2010

'The Host', again...

Well, I finished reading 'The Host'. At around page 100 I was starting to feel bored, so I gave up on it for that night and turned to the book beside my bed for lighter reading. I wasn't finding the storyline all that captivating and, to be honest, I was finding myself reading words that Stephenie Meyer had used in 'Twilight'. However, when I picked the book up the following day, I got back into the story and didn't read anything else until I finished it.

The plot is good. It's simple in many ways - there are only about two or three things the main character wants to achieve and the audience knows this. They aren't kept a secret. There are, though, a couple of interesting moments in the book where the audience can get confused on what the author is actually trying to say. Had to re-read a couple of passages to get the correct understanding. Admittedly, I wasn't expecting the viewpoint she went on with after the main character 'dies' - very well done, there! Bit of a curve ball doing that!

Overall, if you like sci-fi storylines you would enjoy this novel. Well, no, maybe not, but you quite possibly would if you were female and enjoyed them. The momentum isn't hugely fast. It does pick up more towards the end, as any good novel should, but it isn't something that will take your breath away. It's not a mind-numbing, brain-bending experience, but it is an enjoyable read, and something that could possibly make you ponder a couple of things about humanity.

A student of mine said that she didn't understand the book - that she got confused by it. I can understand this, because of the internal conversations that take place within the main character, but it's not very confusing if you keep up with it. I'm just pleased how the story turns out in the end. It's well thought out, and structured. Wasn't expecting the ending that came about when first reading.

If you're interested in know more about it, click here to go directly to Stephenie Meyer's page on 'The Host'.

Happy Reading! Still got 'Percy Jackson 2' to read. Still got three weeks to do that, too... I know I'll have to go out and eventually buy 'The Host', may as well return it to the library this week!

No comments: