Saturday, October 23, 2010

The Officiousness of People...

People who help others out when they need it are always welcome. Especially when those that need the help have a lot on their plate (possibly due to procrastination), and they haven't got around to completing everything in the time they wanted to. However, those that tend to 'help' out, get things wrong, and need things correcting can be quite annoying at times...

Some of you may know that I'm a teacher. One that wrote the yearly exam for Year 7 History at my school this year. All well and good, and I promised the teachers of the other Year 7 classes that I would get an answer sheet to them in plenty of time to get the results in for reports. The end of this week, in fact, when all the exams were over for Year 7.

What do I find when I go to another Year 7 History teacher's desk this afternoon? Someone had done an answer sheet already. No problem. I don't mind. That is very kind and good of them. What I mind is not being informed of this already. What I also mind is that they did not consult me on the multiple choice - which they got wrong for at least one answer, if not two. What gets me the most is that they started marking their class's tests without knowing the marking break-down for two sections of the test.

Being co-ordinator for Year 7 History doesn't involve much. In fact, it just means getting the results done on time and checked over, and making sure everyone has the exam to check over and ready before it's due. (Okay, also an answer sheet.) But not being told that a 'Teacher Copy' of the exam existed, when not all classes had completed undertaking the exam - in other words, not in my keeping where I knew it was safe! - is something one would think a co-ordinator should know about.

Thanks guys!

Yes, okay. This is a complete rant...but it really got on my nerves today...this afternoon...just when I was about to start a good weekend full of marking!

No comments: