Tuesday, January 30, 2007

Boxing Day (Part Deux - for the second time)

This is the second time for this post...so I'm hoping that it works this time...

This is a photo of my loving and kind family (some of it) at Rotten Row. Rotten Row is a strip of dirt around the edge of Hyde Park (London, again...) where you can ride your horse. It's been around for centuries now. Peter is the only one acting 'rotten' - he is such a dear brother of mine. :) My Dad is in the middle of the photo, and Nat's Dad is on the right.

This photo is of the statue/memorial to the first Duke of Wellington, that great General that defeated Napoleon Bonaparte at the Battle of Waterloo, Belgium (yes, Waterloo is not in France). He did well against the Napoleonic forces in the Penisular War Era, too, promoting himself into the public eye with his outstanding use of the forces he had at hand.

This is the London residence of the first Duke of Wellington. I'm not sure (don't have my London book with me at present) but I believe that it is a museum these days and open to the public. I just thought that it was a very nice house and looked fairly imposing.

One amazing thing about England that was just weird to me. I didn't need to wear my sunglasses at all. I didn't in Paris, much, either, or Munich. The Sun, though bright, was not bright enough to require them. Winter in Australia must have a stronger Sun (thank goodness!).

No comments: